Although the house had nice old doors when we bought it ( one of the few things worth saving ) we wanted to enlarge the door openings when we raised the ceiling heights along with adding more doors. In a moment of renovation good luck we came across a stash of beautiful old doors that were bigger then the doors we had and enough to go around. As old doors often are they were covered with years of paint. We spent the better part of the fall stripping them. * disclaimer… we stripped some of them, we still haven't gotten to the bedroom and closet doors.
We wanted them to still show signs of the years of old paint and not be stripped down completely bare. This turned out a bit harder then you would think to be able to get the levels fairly even from door to door. We are basically happy with the results for the doors we have done so far. We are still debating painting the upstairs doors and leaving the downstairs ones raw.
We had several areas where putting in a pocket door made sense: the pantry, my husbands office/guest room and one to divide the girls bathroom in two. This door allows someone to wash up or do the laundry whilst another person is taking a shower or using the toilet and remain private.
The only problem was that the glass in the door we used was clear. We could have replaced the glass, but as it was in good shape I decided to frost it.
First I taped off any area's surrounding the glass with ScotchBlue Painters Tape.
Then since I was using spray paint inside I opened all of the nearby windows and put on a respirator and safety glasses. *Another disclaimer here - for years I would take on a project like this without any safety precautions - I guess I'm finally getting smart.
Then using Valspar frosting spray I sprayed one side of the glass going slowly back and forth. This last part is important to get an even coverage. I let dry about 20 minutes and repeated. I found I needed to go over the spraying 3 times to completely and evenly frost the glass.
So if you ignore my poorly lit photo and the missing baseboard to the left plus the nonexistent hardware - it looks quite good and it definitely does the job.
My next step is to finish the baseboard and install door hardware. I'm having trouble finding pocket door hardware that is simple and modern yet not too office-y and doesn't cost a fortune. I'm also thinking of bleaching the door panels a bit to dull down the reddish tones in the wood.
In case you noticed the bright blue towel hooks hiding in the shower side and were thinking - whoa, where do I get some just like it!! Stay tuned for the DIY on that.